Monday, August 23, 2010

The Beginning

Hello new blog!

This is my first blog. I would like to first apologize for all of the grammatical errors that you are more than likely going to experience! I am going to explain my idea behind this blog and then I will try my honest best to make a difference. More than anything, my wish is that you are inspired!

Explanation:
My wife and I were laying in bed speaking about having our first child together. We are habitual planners and naturally we went through our checklist: we need x amount of money for the nursery, we need x amount of money for childcare, etc. At the beginning of the conversation, I was ready and willing to start the process of bringing a beautiful little one in the world. By the end of the conversation I was stressed out and as soon as she feel asleep began a job search for a 2nd job.

In the past, Nicky (my wife) and I had many discussions about adopting. The day following the conversation of "making babies," I thought that I would look into the option of a local adoption. I read all of the requirements and looked over the potential timeline. Then I saw a link that took me to pictures and bios of the girls and boys that are awaiting placement into a permanent home. At that moment I felt the biggest pain in my heart. These children ranging from infant to 18 years of age are all from broken homes or the parents flat out did not want them. Most of us today get upset when our friend request is declined on Facebook.

Imagine this, you are 10 years old again, BUT, your father is in prison for sexually assaulting your sibling, your mother is prostituting to feed her addiction, and all you want is your family to come watch you sing in your 5th grade Christmas program at school. In the back of your innocent little mind you know that no one will be there for you and out of the entire auditorium of families, no eyes will be watching you.

Wow, at that moment reality set in and like most Americans today, I had to post something on my Facebook. My post read:

What have you done today to make a difference in your life or the life of someone around you?
That is a question that I am going to ask myself everyday!!!
You never know, I could be making a difference in your life in the near future!

I know that I cannot save every neglected child nor can I feed a neighborhood of hungry people but I know that I can do my part to impact the lives of others. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

My Mission:
I am going to post what I am currently doing to impact the lives of others and then each week I am going to challenge myself to go beyond my normal routine. I would like to eventually do something everyday that has at minimum, an impact on someones life. Plus, I am looking for the support of my Facebook buddies, coworkers, family, friends, community, city, state, and country to post ideas on how to impact others and what you are doing to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

The task is simple, do something for someone that you normally would not do... open the door at the bank for the elderly couple, tell the Walmart greeter that her hair looks great, be patient and complimentary to those who made an honest mistake, or mow your neighbors lawn. If you are rich with money you could by books for the local preschool, if you are rich with time you could volunteer to read those books to the preschool. Something small or something large, just MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

In closing, the current state of the Government, Economy, Society, Education system, etc. is the way it is because we collectively as people have made it that way. We collectively have the power to make this nation a better place one kind act at a time.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your posts.

CB

6 comments:

  1. Hey bro,

    I am not a subscriber to this blog but you can send me messages on facebook anytime. I too have been dealing with inner turmoil of "How can I make this community, this country and this world a better place" for sometime now. Truth is that humanity has an ugly face and is hard to stare down. It needs people like you and I who have the personalities, the heart, and the initiative to make a difference. I currently dont do much though. I voluteer time with the Special Olympics when I can and also plan on doing a lot of 5k and 10k runs for child abuse, breast cancer, and various other causes. I guess what I am triing to say is that these kind of forums (your blog/facebook) is a great place to put info out on certain events or even start on of your own. Whatever you do I am on board! I truely believe that one should not be remebered in his life time time by his personal acomplishments, but by what he acomplished for others. Your a genuine man Carl. Hit me up anytime you need support on somthing like this.

    Robert Zumwalt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of my new year's resolution each year is to smile at a stranger everyday. I've also chosen to do other things that might make me a better person like choosing to learn a new thing or study a new religion that year. I LOVE the smiling thing though. It's so simple and easy that I wish everyone would try it for a week. I may be giving a person who is having a hell of a time a bad day and it costs nothing from me but a glance and a smile! It's great that you're doing this and I think I may try to join you in my own way.

    Adriel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey and I felt the same way when planning for our sweet Dylinn. We thought, "How could we bring such an innocent life into such a troubling world"? Then, God gave me the answer. Bring her into the world, bring her up to love me and show kindness to the world, and you're helping the world one little person at a time. We have committed to bringing up our children in the ways of Jesus Christ. With Casey and I, and now, our children showing the love of Christ to all we meet, that is 4 people more than the world had before spreading His love. Do we mess up? Sure. But, we get right back on track and keep on truckin'. Don't be stressed or afraid to bring another life into the world. With the kind hearts of you and your wife, the world could use another one (or two, or three, or four...) of you. God will provide for you and your family. May God bless you and Nicky for your humble and giving hearts and for this AMAZING blog you've started.

    Two chest pounds and a peace sign for you! :)

    Shireen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Carl, This is pretty amazing. I'm so excited that you're so on fire. Brady and I have really been feeling the same way. And I totally agree and give props to Shireen. She's definitely got the right idea. Also, as you know we're fostering a baby boy. It's definitely not easy. And I think we should have our own children first before we try it again, bt it's been a blessing to his family and ours. I invite you guys to check out different churches with us and maybe even be involved in our church plant. God is so GOOD and with him on our side we can do so much more and be obedient to him by spreading His word and glorifying him in EVERYTHING we do. He deserves all the glory.
    But Carl. I love it. I'm anxious to see how God uses you and Nicky.
    We're always here for ya! Lets get together soon!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the great comments! Each of you have given to me in your own way. I think that we all need to stick together and make a difference. Please post this blog to your emails, facebook, myspace, twitter, or any other avenue that will get folks looking at the idea and plan. I want this to become a new part of the American culture. Making a difference is fun and exciting. Please tell your friends. Thanks again for the kind words and support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll tell ya what I have done to make a difference . I read your blog. LOL On a serious note I held the door open today for a old man. And he was gracious and I was happy

    ReplyDelete