Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Norms

Hello again!

As agreed, here is a list of things that I already do throughout my day/week to make a difference. Remember, making a difference is making a difference no matter how big or small the effort!

 1. I volunteer for Junior Achievement OKC. In this program I go to local High Schools and teach kids about personal finance. It is extremely important that our youth understand credit, interest rates, insurance, budgets, investments, and real estate. If I knew then, what I am teaching these youngsters now, I would be paying a lot less in credit card bills today. 

2. I give 5 dollars (not much I know, but I still have credit card bills, remember!) out of my pay check to United Way. The neat thing about United Way is that you can tell them where you want your money donated. Hospice is the recipient of my donation. How did I decide on Hospice you ask? Well, Hospice is the great organization that cared for both of my Grandmothers in their last few days. They were excellent to our family and treated my Grandmothers with dignity and respect.
3. I donate in some form or fashion 1/3 of all winnings from lottery or casino activities. I may buy 5 dollars in Powerball tickets but only win 3 dollars. I will find some way to donate or give away at least 1 dollar of that winning. Of course, when the winnings get good so do the donations!!! There would be some happy charities if I won the Jackpot!

4. When redeeming my credit card and debit card points I always donate them to a charity.


It is interesting, before I wrote this post I felt that I gave a lot. When you put it into writing things become clear. In the past the thought of tracking my acts of kindness never crossed my mind. However, tracking my difference making acts is now a way of life. It seems that I am strong in the institutionalized area of making a difference. Yes, this idea is about giving to the nonprofits but it is more about the changing a flat tire for a pregnant woman or the going to visit the elderly lady that just lost her spouse. It is more about smiling at people, helping people more, and making a difference in lives around you.

Before I finish this up, I would like to share a random act of kindness that I witnessed less than two hours ago. I was sitting in class this evening, this class is not the meat locker, it is the deep freeze. A young woman in the front row was wearing short sleeves and the professor said to her, "you are going to freeze tonight." About half way through the class period I noticed that she was wearing a big blue t-shirt. The young man next to her had taken his shirt off and let her wear it. Of course, the young man was wearing an under-shirt. This was only the second time that this class had met and they did not know each other before, in fact, they did not even sit next to one another during the first class. That is amazing because I would have NEVER thought to do that unless it was for my wife. These are the small things that make the world great.

I am going to share a website with great stories of helping others. I am in no way associated with this website but like the content. I would like for everyone to post things on this blog like the good folks are doing there. http://www.helpothers.org/

What are you doing? Comment and inspire others to make a difference! The more followers we have, the more comments we get, the better chance that we can really make our world better for us and our children. Spread the word!

Thoughts inspire words, words inspire actions, actions inspire everyone around you!

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring Carl. I have always wanted to help with teenagers but really don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby, thank you for following and congrats on starting your family. Jr. Achievement is a great program to work with teens. There are a ton of different teaching opportunities and after you leave you feel amazing. A guy that I work with volunteers at OKC's alternative HS for pregnant teens and he loves it. What would you be willing to do with teens and maybe I can find some other options. Making a difference in our youth is so important!

    ReplyDelete