Friday, September 3, 2010

The Season

It is time... yes it is of course time for football, but it is getting close to the holiday season. It is the season of cheer, love, and giving. There will be families coming together, over indulging in holiday treats, and spending quality time with each other. My family has an amazing time together; we are all extremely feisty and love to laugh. Everyone has that crazy uncle, aunt, or cousin that says the most off the wall things... that is my entire family. My wife loves decorating the house for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and again for Christmas (multiple trips to the attic each year). The holiday season proves to be a great time each year!

BUT, I also know that there are children that will not go Trick or Treating (not because of religious reasons), eating a lavish Thanksgiving dinner, or open any gifts on Christmas. There will be people sleeping under bridges in the cold weather thinking about the family they once had or wish that they had. There will be families that have nothing because the father has been out of work the last eight months sick from his cancer treatment.

There are so many reasons why people may not be able to have the same holiday cheer that I know my family are fortunate enough to enjoy. That is why my wife and I are preparing early for the holiday season. Inspired by my Granny (this is the first season since she passed), we will be giving out packs that include a new t-shirt, a new pair of undies, and a new pair of socks to homeless folks around the city during Christmas time. We will buy a package of shirts, socks, and underwear here and there from now until Christmas time. If we bought it all at once it would be expensive and it would be easier for me to say "No, I am not spending $230.00." In reality, if I space it out, it is more manageable and easier to swallow.

What are you doing to prepare to give during the holiday season? What can you do to make a difference?

CB

4 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea! I always get together bags of food to take to the food bank. Also, the school my daughters attend puts together baskets of food for some of the less fortunate families that attend the same school, so I always give to that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been terrible about buying things on a whim, and then having no use for it. So what I have started doing is everytime I start to buy junk I don't need, I stop, put it back on the shelf, see how much I would have spent on it, and donate that amount to either water.org or love146.org I have less clutter at home, and the money I would have given Wal-mart goes to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we have talked about donating to the homeless for a while now, and I'm excited to finally do it. It will feel good to see how happy a small donation of every day things, like shirts and underwear will make someone in need. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comments everyone! Thank you for your input and I am glad that you all are making a difference! It is amazing how donating money or food can make a real difference. :)

    ReplyDelete