I am going to be graduating from in May 2011 with a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree. Although I am grateful and excited to end this chapter of my life, things are going to drastically change. One, I am going to have a lot more free time. I have been working full time longer than I care to think about and I am enrolled full time at school. Needless to say, I am busy most of the time! Second, I am going to start to pay off the tragic and unfortunate student loan debt AKA "Vacation Home." Ugh, I am not happy about this. Who is? The thought of sending off checks each month for TEN years make me nauseous.
I was speaking to a co-worker today and we were talking about the above. What I was telling him was how I wish that I would have been more prepared for college on many levels. Being the first of my immediate family to go to college we lacked knowledge on the ways of Higher Ed. To the best of my knowledge my high school did not go above and beyond to help students understand college, student loans, or deciding a major. Obviously, my high school assisted those who met with the education counselors (the few) and those that did not know or realize the benefit of doing so (the many).
What I left out in the opening paragraph is that I graduated high school in 2002. I did take a year and a half off BUT by the time I graduate in May I will have spent around 7 1/2 years in the higher education system. And, my BS degree is in General Studies. Hmmm, what type of career can you get with a BS in GS you ask? The answer is, well, I am not sure. If I would have known how important it was to seriously consider a future career or path, maybe I wouldn't have changed my major 6 times. If I would have known how serious student loans are and the dangers they can cause, maybe I would not get nauseous at the thought of my outstanding debt. If I would have known the importance of getting scholarships and grants, maybe I would have searched for more. If I would have understood the importance of selecting an educational path that you are good at, and interested in, maybe I would have graduated in less years than the standard physician with a degree that is more specialized.
It is my goal to educate as many kids about the importance and dangers that go with higher education. To set the record straight, I do believe in the higher education system and believe that most everyone should go. I am going to stress the importance and understanding of the Higher Ed. process. My message may fall on deaf ears but if I can help a few ambitious but confused youngsters I will be elated.
Do you have a person around you that could use some of the same guidance that I could have used?
If I would have known many of these things before college I would be enjoying graduation a lot more.
Make A Difference!!
CB

I completely agree with everything you said in your blog. Student loans cause many people to graduate with instant debt that they simply cannot afford. Society today, teaches that you have to get a college degree to get any type of descent job. However society also discusses the negative effects of having debt. Unless you are one of the few lucky enough to have a scholarship, do you really have a choice in the matter? Go to school (and graduate with an enormous monthly payment that will haunt you for the next 10 years)and get a good job, OR don't go to school (staying debt free) and have a so-so job. I think it's very unfortunate that students have to deal with such a decision. I am one that has struggled with it for several years. I refuse to take out any student loans, and have paid for my college out of my own pocket. No grants, no help from my parents, nothing. Which explains why it's taken me 2 1/2 years to complete 18 hours, which I wish weren't the case. What many incoming freshman don't realize, is with some jobs, before they will hire you, they check your credit. If you were like most students in college and worked part time while receiving student loans, then this could be a huge disadvantage to you in the work force. Many employers see your debt (even if it's student loan debt) and will not hire you. I have seen this happen to many friends of mine. Although college is extremely important in getting a good career, I wish high school taught more seniors about the downfalls of student loans. I think it's sad that students chose to do the "right" thing by getting a college degree, and then are "punished" with a $400 monthly bill once they've graduated.
ReplyDelete